Monday, January 24, 2011

In at the deep end.

For the last few years I've had an interest in horse racing. For a while now I've been considering getting into horse ownership and syndication, so a couple of months ago I jumped in and joined a syndicate run by Slade Bloodstock. Being a complete novice I had no idea what I was doing, but after a couple of emails and phone calls to Rob Slade, who answered all of my stupid questions as though it was the first time he'd heard them, I 'invested' in a small share of a 2yo filly being trained by Mark Kavanagh at Flemington. I say 'small' share because by my estimation I reckon I own about 12kg of her, which ain't much.
Anyway, it's been a steepish learning curve over the last few weeks where I've learned about such things as 'pretraining' and terms such as 'carrying condition' and 'burly' and today's email which says she is 'new at the caper....but improved to 12.68 for her last furlong this morning'.
Is that any good? Buggered if I know, but what I've got out of it all so far is that she's too fat and is taking a while to get her act together. Let's hope she gets to the track one day.
Oh, and she hasn't got a name yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment